Who We Are
Freedom Studios is an intercultural theatre company based in Bradford. We’re passionate about new writing, new talent and making great theatre in non-traditional spaces for diverse audiences.
Freedom Studios Mission:
To connect different people and communities through making theatre and telling stories.
To help eradicate racism and prejudice.
- To create original, high quality theatre inspired by Bradford, one of the most diverse cities in the UK.
- To make new work in non-theatre spaces, for multicultural audiences, especially those who don’t normally go to the theatre.
- To tell compelling stories about different cultures meeting, to provoke audiences to think and feel differently about others.
- To work in conversation with communities to get to the heart of the story.
- To nurture and challenge diverse artists in Yorkshire.
- To take stories out into the world because the unique nature of Bradford makes them of national and international relevance
- To entertain, challenge conventional form and make beautiful performances
What We Do
We put on performances. We work with new writers, actors, directors, communities and theatre partners to make theatre with people not for people.
We collaborate with artists and audiences to uncover the forces and feelings that shape our lives: how does where we live affect who we are? Do we want love to last? Will technology change what it means to be human?
We focus on work that gives artists the chance to play, explore and take risks.
We perform in ‘real places’, as well as conventional theatre spaces.
We run regular development programmes, like Street Voices for emerging writers, offering professional opportunities for public performance.
Here’s more about our past and current projects.
Why We Do It
We want to ignite passion for live theatre, bringing in people who don’t usually watch or work in it.
We want to create vibrant pieces that explore new ways of communicating and reflect and illuminate our lives.
We want to help launch the professional careers of new artists from a wide diversity of backgrounds.
We want to help eradicate racism and prejudice.