Street Voices 8
Freedom Studios is looking for writers with distinctive voices and different perspectives for its free 6 month playwriting course. This course is for writers with some level of previous writing experience, i.e. you may have already had some success with writing short plays, prose and poetry.
- Are you looking for the next step up? And want to learn in-depth about playwriting and working in the arts?
- We welcome writers who may have been writing creatively in other forms and are looking to broaden their skills
What we offer:
- Writing workshops over a period of 6 months with an experienced playwright
- Masterclasses and Q&A’s with experienced creatives
- Support and advice from theatre-makers and industry professionals
- Opportunities to see plays, events and performances (currently this will be arts content available online)
- Performance of your work
- Safe and friendly environment to try out ideas
- Sat 10th Oct, 2020
- Sat 24th Oct, 2020
- Sat 7th Nov, 2020
- Sat 21st Nov 2020
- Sat 5th Dec, 2020
- Sat 19th Dec, 2020
- Sat Jan 16th, 2021
- Sat Jan 23rd, 2021
- Sat 20th Feb, 2021
- Sat 27th Feb, 2021
- Sat 6th March, 2021
What we are looking for:
Distinctive voices and new perspectives with an ability to write and the potential to develop. A willingness to take risks and try out new ideas along with a commitment to attend all course dates.
You must be over 18 and based in Yorkshire. Individuals from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds are actively encouraged to apply.
Please Note: The course will be run online via Zoom but should guidance change nearer the time sessions will run in Bradford as normal in adherence with government guidelines. This decision will also be made in consultation with the tutor and participants.
To apply please send the below to email@example.com:
- An idea for a short play that you want to write and why? (300 words)
- How this course will benefit you as a writer? (200 words)
- One example of your writing. Please send up to 2 pages of play writing only. (We will accept other samples of writing but you will need to show an understanding of writing dialogue).
When submitting your application please send it to us with SV8 and your name in the subject field of the email. Please also add your name and contact details to any of the documents that you send in.
Deadline for applications: Monday 17 August, 5pm.
Applicants selected for interview will be informed by 28 August and interviews will take place either in Bradford or via zoom week commencing 7 September.