Work With Us
Trustee Position: Freedom Studios
Freedom lies in being bold. – R. Frost
Freedom Studios has a bold vision and is seeking Trustees to help us deliver on it. We have grown creatively over the last few years, taking bold but calculated risks, overseen by our Board.
Ice Cream Opera, written by acclaimed poet, Ian McMillan, was the world’s first opera ever performed from ice cream vans. It was performed in the heart of Bradford, with live music composed by Russell Sarre accompanied by a refugee choir.
North Country, our tale of the survival of three Bradford teenagers after a plague hit the planet, depicted how together and separately they struggled to survive, bringing together their people and their communities as they tried to remake their world.
We didn’t stop there! We remade North Country specifically for a livecast, experimenting with a new technology and streaming it live on Facebook. We were the first arts organization in the UK to do so.
When we were Brothers followed the journey of two men into adulthood. It explored the issues they face such as mental ill-health, relationship breakdowns, and racism. Described by The Stage as a “tense, moving and ultimately hopeful account of male friendship“, they said it contained “echoes of Andrea Dunbar’s working class stories.”
Our most recent production, Black Teeth and a Brilliant Smile was based on Adele Stripe’s fictional account of Andrea Dunbar’s life. It’s received rave reviews in major publications, including The Guardian, The Times and The Stage.
We want to build on this work and we need you! As we move forward to our next stage of growth, we are seeking new two Trustees: one with a background in finance and another in fundraising. Ideally you will have a good understanding of Bradford and its diverse communities.
Don’t worry if you don’t have prior Board experience – we will provide the induction and ongoing training and support.
We simply want your expertise, your passion and your commitment to help Freedom Studios deliver on its bold vision.
For details of what the roles entail, contact our Chair Anj Handa email@example.com or our directors, Alex Chisholm or Aisha Khan for an informal chat.
Work with Freedom Studios Youth Theatre:
We work with a variety of different freelance, creative practitioners in youth theatre.
Youth Theatre Practitioners.
Freedom Studios are always happy to hear from freelance creative practitioners that deliver high quality and exciting theatre (workshops/projects/experiences/education) with young people across Bradford and the surrounding area.
Our Youth Theatre Practitioners are:
- Over 21 and have an up to date DBS certificate
- Have at least three years experience as a professional theatre practitioner (although other arts disciplines also welcome.)
- Have at least three years of experience working with young people in a variety of contexts.
Practitioner in Training.
Practitioner in Training is a development position for a person who has some facilitation experience but is looking to build their skills and expand their experience. For example, a person who feels able to deliver one workshop but would feel out of their depth delivering an entire terms worth of workshops.
Our Trainee Practitioners are:
- Involved with the planning and delivering of workshops with the young people, through assisting the lead practitioner and youth theatre director.
- Prepared to take over the leading of the workshop if the lead practitioner has to leave the room or cannot make the workshop.
- Observed by the Youth Theatre Director and given feedback on how to develop their practice alongside other training opportunities.
Youth Theatre Assistant:
The Youth Theatre Assistant is a position for a Bradford based person to expand their theatre experience, work with young people and develop their facilitation skills.
The Youth Theatre Assistants are:
- Bradford based, at least 21 years old. We would like the Youth Theatre Assistant’s background to reflect the background of the young people in our youth theatre.
- Passionate about working with young people and looking to expand their experience. Passionate about theatre and curious to develop their facilitation skills.
- Punctual, committed and reliable. Have less than 2 years professional experience and have an in date DBS.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please send an up-to-date CV and a brief outline (approx. 250 words) highlighting what key skills you could bring to our Youth Theatre team, and which age groups you prefer to work with.